I saw this on another lawyer’s blog and thought it was worth sharing…check out Hardison & Cochran’s blog here.
Anytime you have cars going in different directions, your chances of accidents increases. So really, any intersection presents a danger, and the busier, the more dangerous.
From a legal perspective, intersection accident cases in NC are fraught with difficult. Yes, if you have a green light, you have the right of way. But just because someone runs a red light doesn’t mean you win on liability. North Carolina’s antiquarian Contributory Negligence law makes it so that if you’re even a smidge at fault, you can’t get anything. This law dates back to when people were dunked in ponds for witchcraft, but Republicans don’t seem to think of that as a problem. Anyway, how that makes things complicated is that even if you have the green light, you have a duty to exercise reasonable care for your safety, so you have to be aware of knuckleheads running lights. Yes, we live in a state with stupid laws. What do you do?
Anyway, long story short, here are the intersections they listed as the most dangerous in Raleigh:
- Poole and New Hope Road
- Hammond Road at Tryon Road
- South Wilmington St and East Davie Street
- Edwards Mill Road and Wade Avenue, Wade Park Blvd.
- Dawson Street and South Street
- Millbrook Road and Old Wake Forest Road
- Rock Quarry Road and Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
- Lumley Road and Brier Creek Parkway
- Wake Forest Road, Ollie Street, and Ronald Drive
- South Saunders Street and Ileagnes Drive
- Tryon Road and Hammond Road
So watch yourself! And call me if you have an accident! 919-929-2992.