Sad About Your Property Damage Claim?

After an auto accident in North Carolina, I think it’s safe to say that most people are not satisfied by how their property damage claim worked out. Either they got their car fixed but it doesn’t feel precisely “right,” or their car was totaled and they didn’t feel that they got a fair offer on the reimbursement for the lost vehicle.

It’s rare to find someone who’s happy after a property damage claim. Thankfully, there are a couple of things you can do to help cushion the blow of a property damage claim.

If your car wasn’t totaled you can make what’s called a diminished value claim. In short, that just means your car is worth less than it was before the accident and you want them to pay you for that. Under certain circumstances, that can at least help you to financially recover for the loss, even if the car still doesn’t feel “right.”

If your car was totaled, don’t be fooled: There’s almost always room for negotiation of the value. Use nada, kbb, and edmunds websites to help you figure out an average private party (NOT retail, NOT trade-in) value of your car and use that figure to inform your negotiation. You might do better than you think.

Of course, making sure your associated injury claim is handled well and not leaving money on the table can help to balance the scales of justice for you as well, so make sure you talk to a personal injury attorney like me. 919-929-2992.

Trackback from your site.

Contact Jeffrey

Jeffrey Allen Howard, Attorney at Law, PLLC
1829 E. Franklin St. - Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514

(P) 919-929-2992
(F) 919-636-4779

Address Doesn't Matter!