From Out of State, but Accident in NC

This kind of scenario can get wacky.  You’re visiting our fine state of North Carolina, and BOOM, you’re in a car wreck.  Whose insurance does what? How does this all work?

It can get really complicated.  In fact, I can’t even really begin to cover all of the different variables in a short blog post, but here are some things to think about:

  1. Address your health care needs and worry about who is going to pay for it later.
  2. Make sure law enforcement creates an accident report.  You might not get it on the scene, but you should at least get a drivers’ exchange form so you know who all was involved.
  3. Consider whether you have PIP coverage in your state.  That might make a big difference in how you handle this.  You should seek counsel in NC, and maybe from your home state, too.
  4. Generally speaking, if you have health insurance, use that for your EMS, hospital visit (unless you have PIP, maybe!)
  5. You should probably make a claim against the at-fault party’s insurance, assuming they are an NC insured.  But consider whether you want to seek legal counsel before you make any statements

There are a ton of moving parts here, and some potential pitfalls.  As always, it’s probably smart to talk to a lawyer as soon as possible.  So call me. 919-929-2992

Trackback from your site.

Contact Jeffrey

Jeffrey Allen Howard, Attorney at Law, PLLC
1829 E. Franklin St. - Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514

(P) 919-929-2992
(F) 919-636-4779

Address Doesn't Matter!

Quick Contact Form