NC Auto Accident and Out of State Insurance Policies

This happens more often than you’d think: You’re driving in North Carolina, you’re involved in an auto accident, and one of you has an auto insurance policy from another state. Seems like it would be simple. But it ain’t.

North Carolina is a liability state. That means we all (should) carry liability insurance to cover our mistakes, meaning if we cause an accident our insurance should pay for the damages to the person whom we damaged. There are several other states who are very similar in that regard. Some other states have variations of no-fault coverage, often called PIP, which stands for Personal Injury Protection. In those states, your auto coverage covers your own losses when anyone causes an accident. And there are variations of those. Some have a lot of coverage, some have a little of that, then they turn into liability policies. Some have PIP and your health insurances is precluded from getting involved. It gets weird fast.

So what happens when you’re in this situation? It’s my favorite lawyer answer: It depends. Who caused the accident, and who has the out of state policy? Is it a PIP policy? Does that help or hurt? How does the PIP interact with health insurance? How does it interact with liability coverage? Will we be robbing Peter to pay Paul? Ack!

This stuff can get really complicated really quickly. That being the case, doesn’t it make sense to get an attorney to help you investigate your coverage situation and help you navigate your course? I think so. If you’re in an accident, call me at 919-929-2992.

Trackback from your site.

Contact Jeffrey

Jeffrey Allen Howard, Attorney at Law, PLLC
1829 E. Franklin St. - Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514

(P) 919-929-2992
(F) 919-636-4779

Address Doesn't Matter!

Quick Contact Form